Are you a morning writer? Go ahead and get your coffee! Then try some of these writing prompts to get your creativity flowing!
- Your character finds a lost puppy. She’s never liked dogs before but soon falls in love with the little puppy. When her puppy goes missing, she’s frantic to find him.
- Rewrite one of your memories but change the past by seeing what would happen if you’d made a different decision. “What if I had gone to a different college? What if I had decided to make that move to a different city?”
- Search for an interesting scientific study. Can you make it into a story?
- Snowstorm! But this blizzard occurs in an unlikely place in the summer. What does this mean? What can your character do about it? Tell it from the perspective of a scientist. Or, tell the story from the perspective of someone who needs to survive this climate change.
- Your character has magic. That sounds great but magic is very quirky. Mishaps ensue.
- Go to the library and look through some newspaper archives pre-1990. An old news story can spark an idea for a novel or convince you to explore the history behind it.